Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Here you go

They're a 30-year-old pair of Tympani IVA's that I bought used a few years ago for embarrassingly little, considering how amazingly good they are. I've been doing some repairs in a desultory fashion and I'm planning to do Satie's mod to replace the old midrange panels with BG Neo 8's, which is why I have the grille cloths off.

Here they are lined up:

But they block the projection screen if I do that, so I'm using them in split configuration, with the woofers behind the midrange/tweeter panels.

I did paint the EPS diffusers. They really soak up the paint and it's amazing how much heavier they get. :-) I think they sound better than they did before they were painted. Not only do they become more reflective but the paint dampens a resonance, if you tap them you can hear that they're acoustically deader and less likely to color the sound. I think wooden diffusers would sound even better, but the EPS ones are really easy to move around and as I said I'm probably going to make some transparent ones anyway.

There's no need for a central diffuser since they're actually located right at the first reflection points of the midrange-tweeter panels. Here's a photo taken from my listening position with a mirror, you can see that the back of the mid-tweeter panel centered in it:

Anyway, based on my brief listeningg session anyway, I can't recommend diffusion enough. The difference in imaging was night and day.

If I had a huge listening room and could pull the speakers way out from the wall, it wouldn't matter, but I can only pull mine out 5' or so and without the diffusers, the image was just too flat. It actually sounded more lifelike when I was listening off axis. With the diffusers, I'm getting much more depth and it feels like I'm in a concert hall, the magic carpet effect. And that's with the speakers closer to the wall than I'd been running them -- I'd really like to be able to push them back a bit because the room is so small.

I think based on my brief listening that the diffusion also improves the ambiance of the room, since the backwave is being scattered and randomized. I have less of an image-just-between-the-speakers effect and a more spacious, natural presentation.

I also listened to a piano recording last night and that too was pretty spectacular, as in it felt like I was in the hall with the piano on stage in front of me.

I need to add some absorption to the room too, it's still pretty bare right now.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.