Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Mylar

Metal-film laminates use to require a rather thin layer of metal on a thicker plastic film. Magnepan bass drivers use to have thick conductors in order to achieve a high efficiency with weak magnets. I think a bass driver using the concept of BG Neo would be very expensive.

Found this on plastic film:

"Originally Posted by LineSource
Hi Paradise_Ice

Dupont Mylar and Kaladex Polyester films, and Dupont Kapton Polyimide film are probably the most commonly used materials for planar and ribbon speakers.

Dupont Mylar has a Glass Transistion temperature Tg of 80 C
Dupont Kaladex has a Glass Transistion temperature Tg of 122 C
Dupont Kapton has a Glass Transistion temperature Tg of 360 C

Mylar can be found down to 2 microns in thickness, and 2.5, 3.6, and 5.0 micron mylar is pretty easy to find. The low Tg makes it a poor choice for high power metal-film laminates

Kaladex is harder to find below 7.6 micron thickness. Many new planar and ribbon speakers have converted from mylar to Kaladex films for the higher Tg.

Mylar and Kaladex are pretty "quiet" when you vibrate them.

Kapton is easy to get at 7.6 micron. 3.8 micron is also made by Dupont, but you may have to go directly to Dupont for purchase. Kapton's high Tg and melting point of over 400 C make it a very good material for high power planar and ribbon speakers. Kapton is also a good substrate for sputtering metals like Aluminum or copper. Many flexible PC boards use Kapton, as it is safe to solder to without special materials.

Kapton is a little "noisy" when you vibrate it.

There are a wider range of adhesives for Mylar/Kaladex than for Kapton.

mylar 1360 kg/m3
kapton 1535 kg/m3
Aluinum 2700 kg/m3"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Mylar - Roger Gustavsson 04:39:53 06/15/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.