Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Short story with pictures.

I think you have a problem with loud deep bass because the bass panels ate
1. too close to the front wall - so you are getting cancellation from early reflections.
2. The panels are not straight facing nor time aligned to obtain in phase reinforcement so you have a comb filtering problem that is preventing you from obtaining the best deep bass. The upside is that you are getting more uniform bass.
3. If you are using the high pass on the mains you are losing the bass panel reinforcement effects from having both the T III and 20.7 panels playing the same frequencies. However, even if you do have that wired so that the mains and bass play together, you still need to get them in phase so that you do not get a suckout near the crossover freq. So use the crossover in the bass amp to get that right - it should have a phase or time delay setting you can adjust, and you can place the bass panels more forwards to obtain better phase alignment.
4. The T III bass panels need to sit on sturdy feet and have a crossbrace going from the 1/3 point up the speaker to the back of the feet. Mye stands would do it but that is a big shipping cost. you can build wood and steel feet and put in a brace. In my case I could brace to the wall and it adds 6 db to max output below 50hz. Without the bracing the piano bass notes become anemic and the concert grand piano sounds like a baby grand.
5. If you have tears stretches and holes in the mylar you can use a packaging tape to seal them. Call magnepan and ask which brands or substrate and adhesive materials they suggest.

6. baffle and wall loading placement to reinforce bass. To really get what your friend is looking for in bass reinforcement for the 20.7 you need to place the TIII panels between the 20.7 and the wall forming a line or arc with the 20.7 panel from the sidewalls into the room. As a preliminary attempt you can place one set of TIII basses between the outside edge of the 20.7 and the sidewall with a concave V - keep the speakers in their precise current location, and just squeeze in the bass panels in the gap to the sidewall so that the deep bass panels are at the sidewalls and roughly equidistant to the rest of the speaker (use a tape measure to obtain equal distance from each driver center to the listening seat for each TIII and 20.7 bass panel.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.