Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: vintage tuners

The challenge is getting one from the Bay that is in excellent condition. Pretty much every seller is going to claim that their unit sounds great and works perfectly.

I purchased an FM3 that was advertised as working perfectly. Nope. (I am doing a restoral)

Then I bought the F90, again, the claim was working perfectly. Yes, for about 20 minutes. After about 20 minutes it starts to generate loud popping noises. (I am doing a restoral)

And I bought a Marantz that was also advertised as working great. LOL this one was obvious, the digital display was frozen. The tuner could be tuned but you never could see from the display which station you had tuned to, or what other settings were in play. (I got a full refund for that).

So be prepared unless you are willing to pay through the nose from a highly skilled restoral expert to have difficulty finding a vintage tuner that works as you would like...

Oh yes, I also bought two Sont -STJ75s. One works great, the other has the common - for that tuner - defect where loud bass passages get muted. I have a plan for that one but no component replacement kit...

Edits: 11/01/23

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: vintage tuners - ltman 15:52:47 11/01/23 (2)
    • True - 1973shovel 04:48:26 11/03/23 (1)
      • RE: True - ltman 23:47:43 11/04/23 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.