Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Winding Resistance - How to Interpret?

I measured the primary (117v) and got 1.4 ohms. The 176v secondary was 5.9 ohm and the 97v was 4.4 ohm. Not sure how that relates to the amount of current available . . . ??? I definitely won't be using the full current rating of all the windings.

I was planning on using only one of the filament windings to power all the filaments. Not sure exactly what front end I'll use. Douglas (PakProtector) sent me some info on his PP 6CB5A project which will use 6BQ5s in LTP. I'm also considering 6SN7s and 6GK5s.

I'm not sure if I'll use the 97v winding or not. If I run the 6CB5As in pentode, I could use the 97v winding as a screen supply, which would draw very little current. Or I might use the 97v to power the front end tubes.

Any suggestions are welcome! My knowledge of design is minimal, at best.

I DO want to build something fairly simple - cap coupled, no interstage transformers, no CCS for now. As usual, I'll be trying to use scrounged parts. Output transformers will likely be pulled from a Pilot 654 receiver (PP 7591). They are 5.6k primary and pretty hefty. I also have a Scott 299A around that could also be a OT donor, I suppose. If this power transformer is unsuitable, I could also pull the PT from the Pilot or use one from a Sansui 1000A, which used a doubler circuit. I'd like to be able to make this one work though.

. . . Charlie

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.