Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: How did you install mini?

Don't now how to say butter either, but the locally-made is darn delicious! I am staying at my daughter's place in a countryside area between Lyon and Paris. It is one source of choice animals and agriculturals for use by top chefs in the country. I keep sending our friend OG42 pictures of local treats to torture him a little :) At the nearby town, I have been lucky to find many folks who don't take offense at my TOTAL lack of French. If they cannot speak English, we laugh through our sign language. I do have the iPhone's translation utility set up, but fear it may somehow take away from the mutual amusement.

So, I found the files I downloaded last year (tiny10 23h1 x64.iso, which I used, and tiny10 2303 x86.iso, which I did not use). I believe that the page linked at the bottom here gives acces to them. (If not, I can set up a server for you to get them.) That page is a bit dated but includes comments by users, which may help you.

In addition, if you click on the developer's link, NTDEV, left under the page title, you will find a newer set of links. One of them is to tiny10 23h2 x64.iso, the H2 being a more recent version of what I used. I have no idea of how well this is for our purposes. I suppose I will not resist the temptation to try it... much later this year.

-- As I recall, I used a program called Rufus to create an installer bootable USB drive with the ISO file. Look for https://rufus.ie/en/ Read the page in case it mentions something related to your hardware. It could be, for example, that you need something to make UEFI work.

-- Then, I installed this into a blank SSD...and booted from it...and the darned thing flew! Ok, I know there followed several days of probing limits, which went well, by and large. Then I optimized what I could. (explaing now is well out-of-range for this ancient brain cell, but I can look when I return.)

-- Finally, I installed and ran what I wanted. Never a real hiccup. But, I believe I stayed within the few limitations of this mutant OS.

Oh, my music PC is NOT very modern (won't take Win 11), does not run UEFI, and its multi-core CPU is dumbbed down to 2, only one of which plays music. Not much of its 16GB of system memory is used by this radically reduced OS. Lastly, one does have to get a Win license, but not for a long while, it seems.

Edits: 01/21/24 01/21/24

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How did you install mini? - JBen 16:17:33 01/21/24 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.