Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: The whole question of cables is fraught

They make a lot of claims but then also have a few disclaimers with that cable. And this is where it all gets so confusing. What exactly does it support? It says Thunderbolt 3, but TB3 has to be certified. 10gbps on USB-A? Well maybe, but how many USB-A devices support that? Charging? Maybe.

I have a USB-C to USB-C cable that is USB 3.2 gen 2 that connects my monitor to my Macbook Air M1 that supports 4k video, audio AND charging simultaneously, plus data to/from the built in hub. That's really nice in that I have just one cable plugged into my computer that does everything.

As I posted elsewhere in this thread, even super hi-res audio is an afterthought at these speeds. I think it worked out to be 19mbps at 24/384, so with overhead maybe 20mbps. That's one thousandth of a 20gbps cable! What in the world do audio people think is so special about it that they buy audiophile USB cables?

It always seemed to me that the audiophile brands needed to instill FUD into everything so they can sell you something.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: The whole question of cables is fraught - zacster 07:47:21 12/13/23 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.