Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: BMS test by Bernd Timmermanns

The most recent issue of Hobby HiFi (4/2002 -- mine hit my Postfach today) has a review of this driver. Herr Dipl.-Ing. Timmermanns' measurements show it to be a phenomenal driver. Technically, it's an absolutely brilliant concept. It has two concentric ring-radiators, so that neither one blocks the radiation of the other.

Loaded on BMS's 2230 horn, it measures phenomenally, +/- 2dB from 800-20k Hz, excluding a peak and dip in the 8kHz-10kHz range that expands the window out to maybe +/- 3dB. Average sensitivity over 800-20k is about 108 db/w/m. Distortion at 90dB is mostly under 0.3% for all orders. He did have some negative comments about the xover's impedance load, bringing the system down into the 4ohm load. But that strikes me as being not an issue for people like me who would pair such a driver with a powerful solid-state amp.

It's much more interesting than the speaker I was really interested in seeing this month -- the backloaded horn loaded with a Hi-Level dual-concentric.

How much does this thing cost in the US? Its range is enough to make me think it perhaps a better compromise than a large dual-concentric. More specifically, I'm thinking this driver + 2 Lambda TD-15's, actively biamped as my potential next system. Plus sub, of course.

NP: Dave Matthews Band with Bela Fleck, "Lie in Our Graves" (Hartford, CT, 08 June, 1997)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: BMS test by Bernd Timmermanns - citroeniste 15:05:45 05/22/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.