Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Adjusting attenuation of Hiraga x-over passive equalization section

Hi Angelo, I built the 16 ohm version Hiragas several years ago, and used them happily for a while. My math is pretty shaky when it comes to the time constants, but it is possible to figure them using the formulae in the original SP article. There is also another way to determine what your crossover is doing. You can feed a constant voltage AC signal from an audio generator to the input, while terminating the driver outputs with the proper resistors- i.e. 16 ohm resistors for a 16 ohm network. Measure and plot the output voltages at various frequencies, and you can see what the network is actually doing as you make changes.

Of course, the wild cards are still the drivers' varying sensitivity at different frequencies, plus the patterns of the horns used, so SPL testing in the listening room with the mic at your listening spot is really helpful if possible. I have found it necessary to potentiometers of several times the speaker impedance (50 ohms for 8 ohm driver, 100 ohm for 16 ohm driver) in series with the driver leads to permit final level matching- not the last word in impedance matching, but works well in practice.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.