Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: "Did you get your JBLs via Bruce?"

The first two came with the EdgerHorns as purchased from Chris Brady. He had bought them new and unfinished from Bruce and had the cabinets finished with Cocobolo Wood Veneer (done by his father and brother).

I bought them from Chris when he 'upgraded' to the Cogents. Once I got back to San Francisco one of the drivers started rubbing and so I sent it to either Bruce or Orange County Speaker and they diagnosed 'rust in the gap'.

Got two used drivers from Bruce and they were VERY weak so I sent them back to be re-magnetized and one was returned to me dead. Seems they re-magnetize them with the diaphragms in but short the terminals which should protect the diaphragm but...

Not this time Sent it back and it was returned functional with a 'new' diaphragm but who knows what brand/kind. All of this in about 2008?

All the drivers I have are marked as 2441.

Consensus seems to be that of all of the after-market diaphragms out there that aluminum is best and as JBL aluminum is unobtainium, about the only aluminum available for a 2441 series is the Radian and the good news is that they sound very good.

Oh, and might I suggest a sub-woofer solution for horn lovers?

Tried about every Big Boom Box Sub (REL, etc.) and they boom but no music do I hear in the range below the Edgar mid-bass bins.

Now running two of Fitzmaurice's Table Tuba Longs, cabinets made by a guy in Phoenix. Not huge, just 12in. x 18in. x 60in. tall. Fit both in the back of the Prius. Folded with about a 10 ft. path length and a $75 Dayton driver.

Changed my listening world! From the listening position it sounds like the existing folded mid-bass horns go down to 40 Hz rather than 80 Hz. as before.

First they came for the dumb-asses
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a dumb-ass

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "Did you get your JBLs via Bruce?" - Ivan303 12:27:23 11/14/23 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.