Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: Advice sought on speaker match for Bryston B60...

The Athena ASF2s might be too much for your room. I think the B 60 would be great with them, though. I had a B60 and although it is a very good amp it was not up to driving a PSB strat gold i system with its below 2 ohms in the bass impedance. The Athena F2s can be a bit too responsive in the bass, depending on how you site them. I mean, they get down to 35 hz and they are 93 db efficient and 8 ohms. They are also a bit hifi sounding, but very dynamic due to their efficiency. The B60 is a bit lean in the bass, so you may get a complementary effect. Maybe the ASF1s or Athena bookshelf speakers if you need a smaller item?

I have not heard the Infinity Primus line, but that might also be worth exploring. Your best bet with the b 60 is an 8 ohm speaker with fairly high efficiency. Maybe Spendors, if you are going for the pricier components. Those Joseph Audio monitors look mighty interesting too.

8-9 feet is a bit too close IMO. Will the drivers in a multiway system have a chance to blend? You might be better off getting an Omega single driver speaker to preserve the phase and integrity of the midrange at these distances. Dunno. I have not heard them, but people like them.

I guess I'm into lower priced components to begin with. You can always sell them or use them for home theater or bedroom, whatever without losing lots of money. Speakers are notorious losers of value.

BTW, the B60 is a great little amp. It was my entry into high end.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Advice sought on speaker match for Bryston B60... - edta 16:51:34 12/19/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.