Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: Good Investment???

Sonic Frontiers had a good reputation for solid design, and good build quality using premium parts (the company began as a vendor of quality DIY parts). There's nothing exotic or unobtanium in the circuit. As long as you have a circuit diagram, any competent electronic tech can work on it. Sonically, the Power series of amps are pretty much standard for push-pull designs, trading some tube lushness for decent extension at the frequency extremes. It should perform as well as current tube amps of similar design. If it is working now and meets your power requirements, it should be worthwhile addition to your system.

The resale value, both now and when you eventually sell it, are affected by the company's demise. I don't recall what the original retail price was on this unit, but given the age and that the company's out of business, you should't be paying above 50% of the original retail.

There is a new company, Parts Conexion, that has risen from the ashes, and they may have circuit diagrams if the seller doesn't have one. Not sure I'd buy it without this important reference.

I'm not the one to ask about cables, since I don't subscribe to much of the current superstition.

Rob Gold

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Good Investment??? - Rob Gold 15:51:01 12/17/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.