Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: Different Technologies

>>However, all digital technologies share common problems, like clock jitter.<<<
Agreed, but jitter is easily addressable-its been known about and dealt with for a long time now. Out of curiosity, do you have the Jitter measurements of any of the digital amps?

>>>The bottom line is really the issue of your priorities. If you values dynamics as the most important aspect of realistic sound reproduction then the excellent efficiency and seemingly infinite power reserves of digital amps just cannot be matched<<<
With speakers that are 100db efficient, the last thing I needed was a seamingly infinite power reserve. I can get that with 20 watts. There are always trade offs, and I certainly agree that everyone has different sonic priorities, but I'm not sure I agree with that assesment. I had great dynamics with my SETs, and I don't really consider that one of the eVos better sonic traits. The eVo was a step up in neutrality, tone. timbre and harmonic structure.

>>>I'll admit that I'm willing to sacrifice loudness and bass slam for the utmost tonal neutrality and coherency<<<
As will I, though I suspect we may have different defintions of coherency-possibly neutrality too. Either that or we hear differently.

>>> hear sonic degradation (in long term listening) from amps with with parallel devices and bridged or push-pull configurations.<<<
As a *gereneral* rule, so do I.
As you say, there are always trade offs, and we all must choose what serves our needs the best.
enjoy,
Jack

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.