Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Hmmm

I love the 1+1's -- have a friend who has them.

Anyway, the challenge we faced was getting the subs to sound as good as planar bass. That meant dipoles, because they excite fewer room modes/pour 2.7 dB less energy into the room.

The problem with dipoles is that they're big! The idea here was to make a capable woofer that is unobtrusive or can slide behind a couch. That meant dynamic drivers, which can move more air than a planar with the same surface area. It also meant using the side walls for extra bass reinforcement. And it meant using multiple small drivers, along with the fact that small drivers sound better than big ones, along with the V shape that Wendell came up with. Then getting custom drivers that can push more air. And then something else that I still can't discuss because they never get around to filing for the damn patent.

The woofers work great with any kind of dipole, BTW -- Wendell was showing them with some Martin-Logan panels to make that point.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.