Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: How many of you are still using tuners regularly

Having lived in southern CT when I started in this hobby I have fonder memories of the NY area stations.

When I got my first "real stereo system" or something other than a portable with detachable speakers or a Clairtone console, I had the Dynaco Pas-3X, Stereo 70, FM3 tuner, Bozak speakers, Miracord 50H turntable with a Shure V15 type 11 cartridge and a lower end Concord reel to reel deck. So that would have been in the later 1960's.

There was one very popular classical station from NY and I think it was WQXR? Whatever it was, it was the go to station for taping classical FM broadcasts and serious listening.

The serious had a Finco FM-4G FM yagi antenna with a rotor to capture FM signals in all directions.

Around that time I remember comparing two FM tuners to see if they both would pick up the same number of stations. Obviously one was the FM-3 but I don't remember what the other one was but probably a Scott or Fisher.
If I remember correctly they were almost equal give or take a few stations and the number of stations was staggering to me because I had never gone from station to station like that real slow.

Then I slowly phased out of FM and went exclusively to vinyl.

Fast forward to today and the only time I use the tuner in my "closet system" of a Pioneer SX-780 and NHT in wall speakers is when I'm puttering around the house or on the weekend when a local station has a jazz broadcast and I switch to my main system with a a Mac MR67 but it's not the enjoyable listening it was back when.

Like you Charles I'm transplanted to a different area and SC isn't a bastion of variety or stations.

On a side note, I remember when the World Trade center was built and I was working for the RCA Service Company at the time. The towers caused TV ghosting and FM multipath in the CT area on some stations.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.