Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Much prefer FT-3 to K40

Andy,

Just ruminating, but what are you thoughts on the real life "color" and "richness" of string instruments. I am not a musician, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. When I listen to chamber music (which is about 95% of the time), the strings can sound chalky white / grey, they can sound silver / grey or they can sound colorful with rich tonality. Tonight I replaced the Duelund Cast PIOs with the Russian K40s. Immediately the color and rich tonality came back to the strings. I can't say with 100% assuredness, but real life string sounds do have color and are very rich. Probably richer than any of our systems will produce. IF this richness and color is accompanied by great transients and dynamics, then we have something more lifelike than not.

Of course, my idea of "color" and "richness" is purely subjective and system dependent. So, while the K40s are sounding mighty nice tonight in my system, they might not compliment your system or others like it compliments mine. Please let me know your opinion on this.

Thanks,
Pat

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Much prefer FT-3 to K40 - banpuku 17:00:59 02/21/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.