Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Do russian teflon capacitors lack musicality?

WOW!
What you just wrote was unbelievably false in so many ways.First of all,the Russian caps are not 5 dollar caps.You are getting them for that price because of the surplus market but obviously,a super power military pays a lot more for stuff than the average consumer does.
An HP 8903 distortion analyzer was 18 thousand US dollars new in the late 80s.Today they sell for 600usd to 800usd on the surplus market.The point is,the govt and industry paid the big bucks already and we reap the benefits later.Does this mean they were a 600 dollar machine? NO!
I have the TFTF Vcaps and they are a nice cap but they are WAY OVER PRICED for comparative performance gain.I have the analyzers and the ability to test the sonic performance of these caps in a way most others don't. I have given the FT3s and my TFTF Vcaps a thorough sonic run and there are somethings I like better in each cap but both overall serve their purpose.The FT3 is a larger cap in physical size when you compare numbers. The Vcap teflon you see here is a 1uf at 600v and the .1uf FT3 is about the same size but lighter.The .47uf Russian teflon is much larger than the Vcap teflon tho and heavier. I tested the .1uf and .22uf Vcaps against the .1uf and .22uf FT2 and FT3 and I had slightly more definition in the upper frequency range but the FT2s sounded more natural and at ease. The big advantage for the FT series is I can use much better wire on them as opposed to the Vcap.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 02/17/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.