Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: FT-3s in action

Used by themselves as output Caps they have an uptilted frequency balance; overly bright and detailed. That's a good quality for coupling caps, though, and where I've successfully used them.

Used in parallel with the frequency range limited (read "musical-sounding") Auricaps as Output Caps for an update of the simple George Wright pre-amp circuit they created a balanced result.

As far as throwing money around, everything matters: wire, caps, resistors, connectors, they all change the sound of the component. Some changes you have to listen so hard for though, the effort becomes the result. Et Tu, Heisenberg?

Each time I've gone way upmarket for something I can't build, like a phono cartridge, CD Player, or Cables, careful choices have been rewarded with results not found at lower price points. The "Giant Killer" category is mostly wishful thinking. The same is true for DIY parts that match the circuit.

Whether or not the changes are positive are up to the listener and listeners have varying perceptions, which is why this debate over what can be heard will never be resolved and there are so many brands, for example, of speakers at the same price point. Often, though, changes in parts go beyond nuances to quibble over IME, like a Darwin Inter-connect or Duelund CAST resistors, the former modestly priced but far more costly than DIY, the latter requiring a ridiculous $$$ outlay for a resistor but worth every penny.

I've been building for, listening to and making music for more than 60 years which doesn't make me an expert, just old. It does give me a certain perspective though.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.