Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Here we go again.

First I want to say that I found the Russian K72 teflons to be mechanical sounding but not the FT2 and the FT3 Russian Teflons. The biggest problem with certain capacitors is their misuse in places where they could sound much better somewhere else.I was taught this from Jim McShane and Eli Duttman a long time ago,along with mixing cap types to get the best sonic flavor.
The teflon capacitor needs a long break in time. They do well when they are mixed with other capacitor types in the earlier stages of the circuit. Teflon capacitors are similar to paper and oil in that they love higher DC voltages across the dielectric because that aids with breaking in the capacitor.The more the teflon or paper in oil cap breaks in,the better it sounds.
We sometimes tend to stereotype things,due to past prejudice or heresay from others.We are all guilty of this at one time or another.
Keep in mind that the Russian capacitors we buy,are bought at surplus prices.If a .47uf at 200v FT2 was manufactured today,it would cost as much or more than the V-cap teflon because of its size and quality of materials used.This is why these capacitor shootouts don't always present an accurate picture because Russian caps are not going to generate advertising revenue for the publications as say, Auri-cap or V-cap would.
So to answer your question,Russian teflons are musical if you use the FT2 and FT3 types and give them time. I prefer the paper in oil K40y and Vitamin Q types overall,but not solely.I like the mix.

The only new production teflon caps I would even consider,are the Sonic-cap Plats. They are a teflon cap that was able to take the best sonic attributes of teflon caps and paper in oil caps, and somehow combine the two.If they were cheaper,I would buy a lot more of them.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.