Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Do russian teflon capacitors lack musicality?

After looking at Andy Evans schematics of a simple but probably crazy good 4p1l amplifier I can't help noticing that he always uses russian teflon capacitors for coupling.

I've tried them in all sorts of positions (including power supply) and in my opinion they just lack musicality. Somehow they are paradoxical in nature because the sound is great but at the same time they make the music boring to listen to. I might add that I have V-cap Cutf's (also teflon) and they are not boring at all. So this has to be something different than teflon per se.

In an effort to find something on the web I came over this capacitor review: [PDF]Capacitor shoot-out - V-Caps (just search for the PDF file) and in that article the russians are described as somewhat mechanical sounding. I couldn't agree more.

Is there anybody else who has had this experience or is it something wrong with my ears (and at least one other pair of ears)?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Do russian teflon capacitors lack musicality? - vbenonisen 13:59:47 02/15/17 (95)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.