Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

be careful with the open back

Open back headphones often have a better sound stage and are more neutral. However, they will be very audible to anyone near the listener. If the idea is to watch movies and there may be someone in bed with them, they would not want to use an open backed headphone. Also, open back headphones do nothing to attenuate environmental noises. For example, you would not want to use open back headphones on a bus or an air plane. If she lives alone and does not use them while commuting or in some noise environment then there is little concern.

You could pick up a used AKG $550 for about $100. These are closed but sound like they are open. Really amazing! I think they go for $150 new.

Another thing to think about is In Ear Monitors (IEM). The IEM market has exploded in the past few years and there are some great options out there that rival even the highest quality full sized headphones. Follow the link below for a rather extensive review, its a little dated at this point but certainly a good place to start. The Etymotic HF series (2,3, or 5 - depending on iPhone, android or no microphone option) are wonderful. They are a tad lacking in base but make up for it everywhere else. The 3 and 5 have an in line microphone and remote control features for a phone. The 3 and 5 are for either iPhone or android. They work on either but the remote features will suffer.

Nate

You can't cheat an honest man, never give a sucker an even break or smarten up a chump -- W.C. Fields

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • be careful with the open back - texanater 08:55:56 12/21/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.