Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Less noisy SET headphone amps

Some amps have better power-supply filtration, better internal layout, and better internal grounding schemes than others do. These amps should generate the least amount of self-noise and should also filter out the most external noise, but I would guess that ALL components will perform better when potential ground loop problems are simply non-existent.

An easy way to eliminate (or check for) ground loops is to install two-prong "cheater plugs" on all components in your system that currently use three-prong plugs. If ground loop problems are solved this way, remove one cheater plug at a time until the offending component(s) have been identified. If humming disappears only when all components have cheater plugs, it might be best to have a certified electrician examine your house wiring so that the use of stock three-prong plugs might be resumed.

Simply making sure that all components are plugged into one single wall outlet often cures ground loop hum. Using too many outlets for the same system increases the chances of ground loop problems.

Sometimes too, simply reversing the orientation of one or more two-prong plugs (only some two-prong plugs are designed to allow for such a thing) in your system can uncover or eliminate humming issues and/or improve the quality of the sound. My old Rega CD player came with a reversible two-prong cord and in some instances it sounded slightly better with prong orientation one certain way.

Also, make sure that all interconnecting cables between components are firmly pushed into their respective sockets. Once you've checked all cable for tightness, slide your hands along the entire length of each cable while bending them back and forth slightly. A loose or broken wire and/or little bit of looseness anywhere can sometimes cause humming, so if the humming increases or stops when you test your cables this way the "problem" will have been solved...

Edits: 08/07/16 08/07/16 08/07/16 08/07/16 08/07/16 08/07/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.