Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: How many have replaced systems with headphone systems?

Ozzy,
I would recommend staying with what you already have or making changes to your speaker system if you're not pleased with the sound quality. I have 2 high quality speaker systems and a load of some of the best headphones including the Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD X, HifiMan HE6, Sennheiser HD800, and a highly modified Denon D7000 (LA7000 by Lawton Audio). I also own 2 really good headphone amps: Ray Samuels A10 Thunderbolt II for electrostatics and the Audio GD Master 9 for dynamic cans. At one time I listened most of the time to my headphones because I didn't want to disturb my family. I much rather listen to my speaker systems now than any of my headphones and I have a private listening room.

For me headphones are for private listening times. If you don't have issues with disturbing your family when listening to speakers, then stick with what you have. If you need to do private listening then you are pretty much forced into headphones. Lately given the choice, I always prefer to listen to my speakers. The soundstage is more natural and you can feel the bass. Vocals on my speaker system puts the vocalist in my room. I do get a soundstage or a headstage with my headphones but its not quite the same. Also even with the most comfortable headphones I still know that something is on my head and I'm tethered to my headphone amp. Don't get me wrong, I like headphones but not as much as speakers.
If you make the switch, you will probably spend a lot of money doing so. If you get involved in Head-fi like I used to do, you will always want the latest best headphone or amp and it will burn a hole in your wallet.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How many have replaced systems with headphone systems? - SteveM324 12:36:44 05/31/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.