Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Amp fried headphones - DC into the output - questions

So I have some nice headphones and what has been a very nice sounding amp.

Today the left speaker of the headphones was really warm, the sound was low and distorted. Called the place where I bought them, they suggested letting them cool and trying again. This time no sound, heating up, electrical burning smell. Turn off amp, take them out, contact the manufacturer.

They suspect DC got into the output, fried the headphone, and they say this is a risk with any solid state headphone amp that's not DC coupled. I've never heard this before, but I have to say I don't give any attention to technical aspects of headphones, or much of anything technical related to high end audio for that matter.

So anyway, my question is, was the manufacturer correct that any solid state amp not DC coupled runs the risk of frying your amp like this?

If so, could I have a bit more of an explanation and also are there any steps to prevent it?

Thanks!

Robert

fight the good fight

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Amp fried headphones - DC into the output - questions - robertd 17:09:33 02/09/16 (8)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.