Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Enthusiastic welcome to HiFiMan 400S headphones

The 400S arrived yesterday and I'm in awe. They match up to the SONY A17 player superbly. Good sensitivity. more bass, better articulation, more air, ... than the Sennheiser 598s or 650s used previously (and the AKG 702s have been taken over by my wife on her new SONY A25).

I should add I listen to classical music so these comments are made relative to that genre and I should add that, at 80yo, my upper frequencies are very compromised. So adjust my enthusiasm as being for the mid range and for the lower end. I'm contemplating constructing some balanced cabling so I can compare them to the Sennheiser 800s on the hi-end listening system (fed by the Meridian Sooloos system).

I've always been in love with planars and have Sound labs electrostats in the main home theatre system (see my gallery) but baulked at the price of the Stax headphones and their associated electronics. As far as I'm concerned HiFiMan have come through with the answer.

Of course in all this we are dealing with subjective opinion so what appeals to me might not to someone else. Niggling arguments about opinions on the sound are rather pointless as we all have different brains with ears merely extensions of that. Our brain response is tempered by by genetics and environment so no two brains will interpret sounds identically. No one has linear response to frequencies inside the head but of course the old ying/yang scenario holds so an objection to a perceived, annoying, treble hump for listener A might not hit the same ying/yang for listener B. Bottom line for me is a very compatible ying/yang reaction with the 400S.

So, the HE400S might not be for everyone, but it is certainly worth checking out.

What can be more subjective than music? It reflects our personal tastes and preferences.

Edits: 90/71/10 90/71/10 91/00/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Enthusiastic welcome to HiFiMan 400S headphones - John C. - Aussie 12:25:22 02/09/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.