Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

I've tried two different types - my thoughts...

Hi there,

I've tried two different kinds; one was more like conventional earbuds and was driven by an iPod shuffle, the other purported to use bone conduction and had a built-in MP3 player. I don't think either are still in production, though.

The bone conduction setup was absolute crap; sound quality, fit, and functionality were all failures in my opinion. Fortunately, the online seller was kind enough to accept a return.

The iPod setup was actually quite good, I thought. It was a small case, like a tiny Pelican case, that held the iPod but had rubber 'buttons' that actuated, through the case face, the shuffle's own buttons. I used it a lot and it never leaked or malfunctioned.

The earphones took a little getting used to - they didn't plug into the ear like in-ear units, rather, they went in but I don't think they were intended to be watertight. After a few trials, I figured out about how to place them; tucked under the edge of my swim cap, I quickly learned the right setup.

Water occasionally got past them, but didn't seem to affect the sound a lot unless I got an earful. Sound quality wasn't hi-fi, but definitely good enough for a workout and helped a lot to pass the 90 minutes with a little less monotony and some inspiration.

I see now there are waterproofed iPod Shuffles available, and a variety of earphone choices. Based on my experience, if I had to replace my set, I'd do that. The shuffle, I thought, was more than adequate for swim workouts, easy to operate, and small and easily clipped to one's goggle strap.

I'd be inclined to try some of the in-ear earphones together with the waterproof iPod - based on my experience with Etymotic ER-4's, in-ear phones can be quite good, and noise isolating, as well as in this case, probably water-tight.

I linked a setup that is fairly close to what I have in terms of the earphones; just not the tiny iPod case. The same site has a variety of earphones and iPods, and some other players, available individually and in sets.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.