Home VK Music - Elekit & Triode Japan Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

New to me TU-879S

I just purchased a used (first time I've ever seen one for sale used) TU-879S already assembled amp. I'd read a lot about them and wanted to buy a kit to assemble, but I have not been working since September and funds were short, so when a used one came along I could not resist, and bought it.
I'd read the good reviews and wondered if they were true. Once I got the amp, hooked it up, and gave it a listen, all I could think was that I was very happy to have made this purchase. Wow! I was impressed. This unit is totally stock (except for the Sylvania shortplate 12AX7 I put in) and I'm quite happy to leave it the way it is for a while. The good reviews were true and it is much more than I expected. I've rolled vintage Tung-sol 6550s, TS 5881s, EI KT-90s, RCA Blackplates, Realistic (Japanese) 6L6s, and Western Electric 350Bs in it so far. Personally, I like the 6L6s the best and just left the stock Russian tubes in it.
I took it to an amp building friend's house today and put it into his switchable multi-speaker system and he was very surprised with the power this little thing puts out. Next to the great sound we heard from his reference recordings, he was equally impressed with the lack of noise it had when he had his ear right up to the cones of his efficient Cain & Cain speakers. If he hadn't just spent all his 'fun' money on a new preamp and tuner, I bet he would be talking about getting one of these for himself. He also hooked it up to his scope and fed several different signals through it and was again impressed with the decent square wave it put out.
So, I've had this thing for a couple days now and thought that if there is anyone out there considering one of these 8.5 WPC amps that they are very nice for the money. I'm driving a pair of A/D/S L-880s which are somewhere around 90dB efficient and this little amplifier does a decent job with these speakers. As long as your speakers are at least this efficient or better, they should do fine.
I'm also a modifier, so somewhere down the road, when I get a little money put together, I look forward to making some improvements to an already very good amp. If anyone here has already done anything which has made a noticeable improvement, I'm all ears and would like to hear of what you have done. This is one very enjoyable little amp that I think I will have around for quite a while.

Larry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - New to me TU-879S - lektrik 23:22:46 03/18/11 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.