Home VK Music - Elekit & Triode Japan Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: ELEKIT TU-884CD Vacuum Tube (12AU7) CD Player Kit

Just built this kit, was fun. A lot of metal parts and generally quality construction. Odd thing is that all that metal surrounds a portable CD player module of unspecified origin. Yes, that is right, the CD module is of the same kind that goes into "Discmans" and boomboxes. The tube stage is just a buffer. The stage that creates the music is held tight inside a black metal box. In fact, the default operation is with ASP on. ASP stands for Anti-Skip-Protection (look it up on Wikipedia). ASP noticeably degrades the sound clipping the highs. Normal procedure for playing a disc is to insert, close, press play, then press ASP to disable it. ASP must be disabled every time you play a disc, not just once at power up. The manual states that ASP can not be turned off by default.

Even with these limitations, this player performs well. It is similar to if a little less detailed than my Vintage TDA1541 Philips player. Overall, I like it. It oozes cool, is well built, and I have the schematic. :)

In the future I will see if I can figure out if the mechanism can have digital tapped out.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.