Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

John Atkinson/ High Prices

Hi,
In the last 2 issues of Stereophile I give a lot of credit to the captain John Atkinson for mentioning high prices. Check out the latest review on the Aerial Acoustics 5T speaker system.
Right off he points to the small price of 3,795. In the same issue is the Wharfdale Diamond 225 speaker system reviewed by Herb Reichert a whopping 449.00 a pair.
Read both reviews, their almost side by side. Can you tell me which one performs better? Then compare the prices.
Some might point out the cost of drivers and cabinetry. Look in the Parts Express catalog and see if you can find a cabinet that is akin to the Aerial 5T.
You might now know the cabinet cost. Add in state of the art drivers, Scanspeak,Seas,ect.,what ever is used. A little more for wire, crossover, and jacks and I think you can stay well under 795 dollars. I have no clue about New Zealand wool. Those must be some fancy sheep.
Not withstanding labor and advertising that leaves a 3.000 dollar profit margin!
I tip my hat to John Atkinson. He did not lie about the speaker sounding good but did hoist a red flag right off about the cost.
I say a real interesting next article might be a (Sound-Off) between the 2 speaker systems using different amps like Herb R. does. Whats wrong with some good old competition in the high end as Consumer Reports does with mid hi-fi?....Mark Korda

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - John Atkinson/ High Prices - mark.korda@myfairpoint.net 07:56:06 02/12/17 (41)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.