Critic's Corner

he said he wants to put more distance between skilled audio design and jar of rocks

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Critic's Corner ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Not quite what you posted hey?
If you want to twist around something for a funny joke, go ahead, but do not expect not to be called on it.
And that final sentence IS the whole thing in a nutshell. Jim Austin wants a better line between the smoke and mirrors of Tice Clocks, Intellegent Chips, using a carbon fiber wallplate, and stuff like the new parasound phono pre John Curl just has up for sale.
I for one would never rate any tweak up next to a well thought out piece of electronics.
The whole thing of blowing large chunks of money at the pile of crap passing as tweaks is foolish. Way better to just go for better basic electronics.
For the wealthy and the person who just wants to throw money to the wind, on a whim.. then expensive tweaks are perfect. For the rest of us.. I will try Free or nearly free tweaks all the time. But i reserve spending real money on proven stuff, and the main money on electronics.
Added: IMO one of the big problems with the current audio scene IS the crazy bullshit tweaks. They make all audiophiles look like fools. Anyone mildly interested in starting out in aquiring a system (if they go to any of the websites) is deluged with the cables, power cords, endless crap about tweaking.. Which would turn off any sane person. they go off and buy a Bose,or some big box store solution.
If a person cannot get sane advice, why would they stay around. i think Jim Austin is right on when he asks to take a step back from the tweaky bullshit and get back to actual stereo equipment, and that we should make a distinction between them!!!!!

Edits: 02/15/11   02/15/11

Follow Ups: