Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

+1 Agree - keep the DAC separate

DAC technology continues to evolve. We had FireWire, adaptive then async USB, support for "CD quality" PCM, high resolution PCM, DSD64, higher resolution DSD, and now MQA in a small handful of DACs. Outstanding and very capable DACs are available at very reasonable prices and as DAC technology evolves we can simply buy a new DAC. I would not buy an integrated amp setup with the DAC built-in UNLESS I were very very space constrained. I -might- consider something like this in my home office but not for my primary system.

I owned some pretty decent separates over the years including a pair of 250wpc Manley Neo-Classic 250 monoblocks (10 EL34's per amp), Bryston 7BSST2 monoblocks, AES/Cary SixPac monoblocks (6 EL34's per amp), Wyred4Sound SX-500 Class D monoblocks, Spread Spectrum Technologies Ampzilla 2000 2nd Edition monoblocks, and several stereo amps and various preamps.

When I downsized I needed a fair amount of power for my Thiel CS2.4 speakers. 50wpc won't cut it but 100wpc from the Rogue Cronus Magnum (using KT120 tubes) does a great job. This same amp outfitted with EL34's was under powered in my setup but with KT120's or KT90's it sounds wonderful.

I have the 100wpc Rogue Cronus Magnum tube integrated in the basement system on the Thiels and the 60wpc Ayre AX-7e SS integrated in my home office driving my Tannoys.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.