Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Good amp for ribbons?

I am not sure it would fit your budget, but a Project Sphinx hybrid amp might be able to handle the tweeter's low impedance even unaided.

With an autoformer, the Art Audio Concerto should work.

Older SS Electrocompaniet amps should do too. As would Burmeiters. (Check my spelling) And if you go far back enough then you should be able to meet your budget. You don't need much power and would likely never exceed 25 watts. So a 25 watt class A should be sufficient.

The Musical Fidelity A1 might work with a resistor or autoformer to help with the load.

I used a Classe DR9 for nearly a decade on the tweeters and am using a Fosgate 4125 now. They are very susceptible to power cords so they need a low capacitance cord 12/14 gauge should do. The 1000.5 is also a good fit. Monarchy's little 70 and 100 stereo amps should work too, but you would need a resistor. The classic Audiolabs should work - if they get warm you will need to put a resistor in. Bryston 2B ST should work too, and again, if it runs a bit warm then add a resistor. I am a little reluctant about the 2B ST since my own experience with the 4B pre ST series was less than great with a dry treble that was transparent but ate air and tone - and reverberant trails.

Old Luxmans like the 505 and its class A variant would have been perfect.

From an overkill but price appropriate perspective the Adcom 5800 and 5802 do well in low power requirements as they are biased somewhat high.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.