Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Cheap amplifier for MG1.5

My experiences with Maggie speakers, especially those larger than the MMG or SMG(a)are: the heavier the amp the better. By this I mean that an amp with a good, heavy power supply--irrespective of the published wattage--tends to work best with the large magnepan panels and produce the tightest (best controlled) bass. This supports the claim that an asian amp with a "trick" power supply weighing 20lbs and rated at 100 watts/channel will sound inferior to a US or Canadian amp weighing 40lbs with a large transformer and rated at 60 watts/channel.

Here is my short list of amps I have auditioned that can be found on the used market for $500-600 that would work very well with the Maggie 1.5s:

* Superphon A-125 (quiet, nicely built cj bargain design w/warm sound)
* Bryston 3B-NRG (or the newer 3B-ST, if available at that price)
* Eagle 2C (older John Iverson design that works very well w/maggies)
* Hafler DH-220 (dirt cheap--the best deal w/great power and sound)

There are others, but this is a short list well built amps with excellent sound, adequate power for Maggies (over 100 watts/channel high current) and a proven reliability record.

As for your question about the Bryston 2B-LP...I do not think it would have adequate power to control the large panels. The resulting sound would be too warm and a bit flabby with less available volume capability and soundstage compression.

Good luck!

--john p. (white bear lake, mn USA)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Cheap amplifier for MG1.5 - johnsp11 21:30:48 05/07/01 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.