Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Langevin Transformers

Here's one for you historians.

At work we have an unused radio/PA distribution/amplification cabinet made by the Commercial Radio Sound Corp. based in NYC.

It appears to be from the 1940's - it's a self contained rack-type metal cabinet that's a dark olive green color, is about 2 feet wide, 1.5 feet deep, and stands about 7 feet tall. There is a hinged access door on the back.

On the front are controls for selecting inputs, outputs to 20 different speakers, a radio tuning console, and a monitoring speaker.

I work at a university in NYC, so this was used at one point for taking radio feeds, or microphone feeds, and routing them to different rooms within the building.

Inside is are two mono amps that are driven, I believe, by a pair of PP 6L6 output tubes. The transformers, both output and power, are produced by the Langevin Corp., also from NYC. The pots for the 20 speakers are pretty beefy Clarostat units.

Does anyone know anything about these transformers or about the Langevin Corp? I was wondering whether these transformers were any good for use in a modern tube amp setup.

From what I could find on the web, the Langevin Corp. produced transformers and circuits for professional/studio applications. They started in NYC but later moved to California.

Later, the Manley Corporation bought the Langevin name and circuits and are now producing studio recording gear under the name. Apparently these devices are highly regarded.

At least I think that's right.

If anyone knows anything more, it would be great to hear from you.

Regards,
KT

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Langevin Transformers - K.T. 09:58:34 03/10/03 (10)

You can not post to an archived thread.