Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

paramour trouble (help, Doc B.!!)

I've finally settled down to troubleshooting my ailing Paramour. One Paramour is working fine with the C4s upgrade. The other, ailing one, is stock. The trouble started with blowing fuses. I went in and measured resistances; all check out with the specs in the manual. Checked the values on the power supply and 2A3 cathode electrolytics and they check out.

After reheating some suspect solder joints, I put the tubes back in and brought the amp up on a variac. No fuse blowing this time, but I noticed that the 2A3 filaments did not seem to glow (12AT7 filaments glowed). I then noticed a strange smell and shut everything down. The power transformer was very hot. On the other Paramour, the transformer gets warm, but never hot to the touch.

Could I have a blown/malfunctioning power transformer?

I measured resistances on the power trannie windings after disconnecting them from the terminal strips and tube sockets (all values in Ohms):

Secondary:
Purple (B+) to CTR tap (brown): 178
Orange (B+) to CTR tap (brown): 152
Orange to purple: 159

2.5AC filament (yellow): 0.1
2.5AC filament to CTR tap: infinite

6 VAC filament (green): 1.0
6 VAC filament to CTR tap: infinite

Primary: 10.3

Both my transformers were painted with black enamel paint. Could this have damaged the insulation on the windings? What seems strange is that the problem is with only one amp when both transformers were painted in the same fashion.

Any help is appreciated! I'm tired of listening to my old solid state amp!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - paramour trouble (help, Doc B.!!) - tubamabob 22:49:26 09/12/03 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.