Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Impressions of the Berning ZH270 amp

As a Merlin VSM-M owner, I've been wanting to hear the Berning ZH-270 oTL amp and last week I got a chance to borrow one. The best part is that I got it for almost two weeks to use in my room with my components. This amp is supposed to be extremely synergistic with these speakers and I can now testify to that fact personally.

My normal amp is a VAC PA100.100 with KT90's and all comments are in comparison to that amp. First thing I noticed with the speed the Berning possessed. Super fast on transients and always ontop of the beat. The speed helps create the ability to hear a great amount of detail and subtle nuance. The main trait in my system was the Berning's neutrality without an edge. The VAC sound is much more technicolor and this amp was more finely honned black and white. After a few days of burnin in my system I switched the PC from a Transparent Audio one to a finally burned in VHAudio Flavor 4 w/the full Furutech options. This cord really help the Berning sound great. The bass dropped and became more powerful and the speakers just disappeared. The soundstage of the Berning is quite excellent and all you hear about this matchup appears to be true.

The build of the Berning is quite nice. It's a dinky little amp and weighs next to nothing compared to the VAC Pushpulls with full trannies. The few tubes it did have didn't warm up as bad at the KT90s either. Plenty of gain with a volume pot on the front.

Ultimately I had to return the amp and ponder if I could live with the VAC. Putting the VAC back into the system was illuminating. Even though the PA100.100 if more colored, I like the color. It has a lushness and power that is slower in comparison to the Berning, but it has a weight about it with the KT90s that really can crank. Something like Stevie Ray Vaughn has more weight on the VAC and great technicolor which I enjoy. It's a full on tube sound. So I guess as much as I loved the Berning, the VAC is something I can also live with.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Impressions of the Berning ZH270 amp - tommytube 10:24:56 08/21/04 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.