Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Lowther suggestion

Hi all,

With reference to ‘Lowthers… Good? Bad? Ugly?’ one thing I forgot to mention in my reply was tuning of the phase plug. If there are any DIYers interested this was my approach –

Replace the phase plug with a wooden dowel (about 6” long) which has a threaded rod put in one end to match the thread in the Lowther’s pole piece, I use brass, but anything non-magnetic will do – we don’t want scurf getting sucked into that very small air gap. With the dowel carefully screwed onto the pole piece, I then made various paper/foam profiles that could be pushed over the dowel and moved along its length. Basically, just play around until the best results are obtained.

Once the optimum dowel length/diameter and profile is found for a particular driver/cabinet combination, it’s then simply a case of machining out a new phase plug.

My own measurements show this approach can go some way to altering the response with resorting to equalisation networks. You can also use this approach to alter the HF roll-off point if you want to crossover to a tweeter

Regards
Steve.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Lowther suggestion - Steve King 08:26:47 11/03/03 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.